Here's one type of fireproof document chest for home storage. Use a waterproof pelican case inside a fireproof chest for added protection. In an evacuation, you can leave behind the fireproof document chest and just bring the waterproof pelican case. Store in a VERY secure place.
Having an Important Document Kit is very important for emergency preparation. It is sometimes called a Life-in-a-Box Checklist. When people lose everything, most wish they had just one small box of important documents and photos.
Even if you are just moving or going into storage, it is a very good idea to have an Important Document Kit. I don't know how many times I've seen people searching through their gobox trying to locate a passport or some other important document. Have a Important Document Kit and know where it is at all times. It would also be wise to have a photo-copy of all important papers kept in ANOTHER safe place.
This list below was adapted from When Disaster Strikes: A Comprehensive Guide for Emergency Planning and Crisis Survival by Matthew Stein. In the case of your untimely death, the Important Document Kit will give your family members prompt access to important information.
Emergency Medical Information
- make a list for each family member for special medication conditions, medical directives, personal contacts, doctors, etc
- medical and immunization records
- birth certificate
- social insurance card
- copy of driver's license
- immigration papers
- marriage certificate
- military papers
- living trust
- safety deposit box location and keys
- power-of-attorney document
- medical power-of-attorney document
Real Estate and Registered Assets
- medical insurance
- homeowner's or renter's insurance
- vehicle insurance
- life insurance
- burial insurance
- property deeds
- current mortgage, rental or lease document
- deed to cemetery plot
- ownership and registration papers for all vehicles, boats, RVs, etc
- all bank and credit union account information and location
- copy of all credit cards
- RRSP, RESP, TFSA, etc
- brokerage account statements
- mutual funds
- certificates of deposits
SOS TIP:GO BOX Storage wants to help with your emergency preparation.
- backup of critical items off computer
- digital copies of family photos, certificates, etc
- digital copies of home photos including each room and personal possession for insurance purposes
- list of passwords and login codes
To help with your emergency preparation GO BOX Storage is giving away a Leatherman Wingman Tool on Facebook
. The draw is June 20, 2014. Watch for the give away!SOS TIP:If you don't use Facebook
but would still like to enter to win, finish the following sentence in the comment section below: I'd like an Adventure Medical Day Tripper First Aid Kit because… (your answer). We need your answer to the question so we know who wants to win!
GO BOX Storage is giving away a Leatherman Tool to help with your emergency preparation. The draw is June 20, 2104.
For more information please see the Emergency Preparation Series